-->

9.03.2011

the case of the missing camera

Usually, I knew the general whereabouts of the weightiest portion of my daily wardrobe--- my Nikon.  It became like another appendage, either affixed to my hand or hanging from my neck, literally every where we went in Uganda.  But, as was bound to happen at least once a day, Davis would undoubtedly come racing up to me, ask for my camera, and nearly taking my head with him as he yanked the camera strap up and over my hair, would just as quickly be running off in the opposite direction, eagerly snapping photos of some new worthy subject.

However, on this day, as we were walking back to the church after a day of water harvester installations, I looked down expecting my camera to be hanging from my neck (I became so accustomed to its weight I hardly realized I was carrying it most of the time) and discovered... It's not hanging around my neck!  Check the backpack.  Zilch.  Check with the others in my group.  Nada.  Even so, it took just a few seconds for me to determine that I probably hadn't left it somewhere... that, in fact, the most likely story was that someone, ahem DAVIS, had cheerfully taken charge of the photo shooting for the rest of the day.  At least, that's what I hoped was the case.  Davis however, was no where to be found in the group of us walking the mile or so back to the church.  Realizing there was nothing I could do about the missing weighty piece of my wardrobe, I continued on my merry way, now realizing my noticeably lighter step.  By the time we arrived back at the church, Davis was already there.  Sans camera.  Hmmm...  I casually asked him if he knew where it was...  He answered, "Oh Gideon has it.  He is having a blast with it too!"  

So here are Gideon's photos (beginning with his self-portrait), telling the story of his and Davis' trip back to the church, posted here for all the world to see.  I must warn you now though, proceed at your own risk.  There is a monster at the end of this story.

Davis, his partner-in-crime. 
Where does that road lead?  And what will they find on their journey?  The mystery deepens...
It appears others have ventured to follow their lead... walking, walking, walking until....
Davis discovered a piece of metal and immediately set about bending it, using nothing but his brute strength.  Impressive, no?  
After which, he welded the pieces of bent metal together to form a fountain.  The neighborhood children showed up for the unveiling of the metal sculpture. 
A quick song and dance routine put the finishing touches on the joyous celebration.

Standing ovations were had.
But on the trail again, Davis was stopped by a traveling circus troupe.  Was it they who first warned him of the ferocious, terrifying, no-good, giant monster at the end of this story?  We may never know...
Here they were stopped by the munchkin police, who demanded to see their identification and travel itinerary.  Perhaps it was they who warned the boys of the ferocious, terrifying, no-good, giant monster at the end of this story.
To which Davis must have scoffed, "I laugh in the face of danger, ha-ha-ha-haaa."
Therefore, with bravery as their guide and confidence as their only shield, they continued on to face the monster.  That ferocious, terrifying, no-good, giant monster at the end of this story... 

...at the end of this story.  

Oh dear.  I believe we have made it to the end of this story.  Let's go back to the top of the page.  I won't tell anyone if you do.  It will be our little secret.  I won't judge.  

No?  You want to continue?  Curiosity is a powerful animal, it seems.  But is it more powerful than the monster?  Probably not.  So I'd advise turning back now.  Go back!  Go back!

Still no?  Okay.  I see you have given me no other option.  You have forced my hand.  But don't say I didn't warn you.  Or give you ample opportunity to go back.

What is the ferocious, terrifying, no-good, giant monster at the end of this story?  And what frightening fate awaits us and our fearless friends?   
.
.
.
.
oh me.
.
.
oh my.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
take a deep breath. 
.
.
.
.
.

.
and
.
.
.
.
.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
BEHOLD

The terrifying ferocious no-good giant monster at the end of this story:


That's all folks.  I'm done for.  I don't know about you and your monster-resistance skills, but for me, one look and I'm completely destroyed.  
Goodbye forever.

And what of Davis?  Well, just look at him.  The giant has him in his clutches.  
 





All I have to say now is, it's a wonder he made it out of there in one piece.  Truly a miracle. 

Sorry for the frightful images, just tryin' to keep it real for you.  Those monsters are out there.  And I thought you should be properly warned and know what we're up against in this here world.  I hope you won't suffer from too many nightmares after this.  

solemnly yours,
ab

No comments:

Post a Comment